Is Sinus Surgery Right for You?
posted: Aug. 22, 2019.
Have you been wondering if sinus surgery could finally put an end to your uncomfortable sinus symptoms? Sinus surgery may help you breathe easier, eliminate congestion, and ease pain and headaches. The surgery is just one of the treatment options your Detroit, MI,-area ENTs offer at Ear Nose & Throat Consultants in Southfield, Novi, Livonia and St. Clair Shores.
When is sinus surgery recommended?
Your ENT may suggest surgery if you have:
- Chronic Sinusitis: Chronic sinusitis occurs when sinusitis lasts three months or longer, even though you've taken antihistamines, decongestants, antibiotics and other medications. Symptoms can include congestion, trouble breathing through your nose, fatigue, headache, and pain around your nose, eyes, cheeks, and forehead.
- Long-Lasting Inflammation or Pain: Surgery can be helpful if pain or inflammation has been present for longer than 45 days.
- Frequent Sinus Infections: If you have three to four infections per year, it may be time to consider surgery.
- An Infection: Surgery is a must if your sinus infection has spread to your skull or the bones of your face.
- Obstructions: Removing cysts, bone spurs, scar tissue growth, tumors, and polyps, or correcting a deviated septum with surgery can help you breathe easier.
How is sinus surgery performed?
Sinus surgery is usually performed endoscopically. The minimally invasive surgical procedure involves inserting a thin, flexible probe that contains a light and a tiny camera through your nostrils into your sinuses. Tiny surgical instruments used during the surgery are also be inserted through your nose. The camera at the end of the probe sends real-time images to a digital monitor, providing your surgeon with an up-close view of your sinus issues.
Some people in the Detroit area can benefit from balloon sinuplasty, an alternative to sinus surgery in some cases. During balloon sinuplasty, your ENT inserts a tiny catheter that contains a deflated balloon into your sinus. Inflating the balloon reduces congestion by expanding the walls of the sinuses. The procedure also involves removing mucus with a stream of saline solution.
Could sinus surgery be a good option for you? Call your Detroit, MI,-area ENTs at Ear Nose & Throat Consultants in Southfield, Novi, Livonia, and St. Clair Shores at (248) 569-5985 to schedule an appointment.