Are you still able to hear the phone ringing from afar or do you usually miss calls? Are you finding it more difficult to hear what other people are saying when you’re in a crowded space? These are common early warning signs of hearing loss, and here at Ear Nose and Throat Consultants, we can help you figure out what’s going on with your hearing.
During a consultation at either one of our offices in Southfield, Novi, Livonia, or St. Clair Shores, MI, one of our Detroit-area audiologists can recommend the most appropriate treatments for your case.
Important Hearing Loss Statistics
Approximately 1/3 of individuals in the U.S. aged between 65 and 75 years old suffer from hearing loss to some degree, according to the Hearing Loss Association of America. As you age, your risk of developing hearing also increases, especially if you’re older than 50. Hearing loss is deeply personal for most people. You may begin to feel left out during noisy conversations, which could cause you to withdraw from social events altogether.
Fortunately, you can effectively improve your hearing, particularly if you know which early warning signs to watch out for. Once you start experiencing these signs, see an audiologist at one of our Detroit-area offices for proper and prompt treatment.
How to Know If You Have a Hearing Problem
You may be starting to lose some of your hearing if you experience one or a couple of these hearing loss warning signs:
- You constantly ask people to repeat what they just said even when you’re conversing in a quiet place
- When people speak to you, you hear mumbling instead of clear words and sentences
- You find it hard to figure out from which direction a sound or voice is coming from
- You have a hard time hearing in places where there are lots of background noises
- The volume of your TV is louder than normal
- You hear a constant ringing in your ears
- You find it hard to hear sounds from a distance even in quiet places
- You feel like you’re always leaning in just to hear what someone’s saying to you
These are the early warning signs of hearing loss that you should be on the lookout for, especially if you have a history of hearing loss in your family. It’s also crucial to note that the earlier you seek treatment, the better your chances are of preserving your hearing for as long as possible.
Concerned about Your Hearing?
Reach out to Ear Nose and Throat Consultants by contacting one of our offices in Southfield, Novi, Livonia, and St. Clair Shores, MI. Call (248) 569-5985 to arrange an appointment with one of our Detroit-area audiologists today.